Sometimes on a Community Center website you have to upload pictures cropped to a specific size. Also, reducing pictures from a digital camera before you upload them will make the upload process faster.
If you have image editing software such as Photoshop ($$), Photoshop Elements ($) or GIMP (free), for example, this is relatively easy. In Windows 7 or later, the Paint program that comes with Windows can be used. You can also use iPhoto on a Mac. However, if you do not have access to image editing software, you can use an online service to crop the photo. This example uses the free service called Web Resizer to crop a photo to specific dimensions.
- Visit http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/
- Click the Browse button at the top of the page to select a picture to upload. Then, click the Upload Image button. The image appears on the Web Resizer page.
- If the Optimized Image on the left is not as wide as the image required for your website, change the New size box below the picture to a value at least as large as the required width for your website. Make sure the width box is checked. Then, click apply changes. The image appears at the size you requested.
- Back up at the top of the page, click Crop Image. A box with handles appears on the Optimized Image.
- Drag the handles until the area of the picture you want to use is highlighted AND the dimensions you need are shown in the width and height boxes above the image.
- When done, click apply changes. The cropped image appears.
- Click the download this image link below the picture. Have your browser save the picture on your computer.
The file is now ready to be uploaded to your website.